Before we begin, here is a basic example of how Google SEO works.
Google uses automatic algorithms that rank websites; they send out “spiders” to “crawl” websites to determine whether they are valuable or useless. Google uses hundreds of algorithm indicators that include domain age, backlinks, traffic, and fresh content and so on.
SEO in very simple terms is making sure that search engines, especially Google are happy with what they find. However, Google are constantly changing their algorithms but there are a number of constants that have been around since the beginning.
If you are just getting started with blogging for SEO you might know a little about backlinks, but if you don’t a backlink is when another website links back to your site from their site.
If there are two things you take away from this guide, let it be these:
- Never buy links, never, never, ever!
- The BEST way to create quality backlinks is to write amazing quality content and then guest post on the best blogs in your niche
A good way to find blogs that allow guest posts within your industry is to use the below searches on Google:
Keyword/yourCompetitorName + “guest blog”
Keyword/yourCompetitorName + “guest blogger”
Keyword/yourCompetitorName + “guest Column”
Keyword/yourCompetitorName + “guest article”
Keyword/yourCompetitorName + guest post
Keyword/yourCompetitorName + guest author
Keyword/yourCompetitorName + “write for us”
Keyword/yourCompetitorName + “write for me”
Keyword/yourCompetitorName + “become a contributor”
Keyword/yourCompetitorName + “contribute to this site”
Keyword/yourCompetitorName + inurl:category/guest
Keyword/yourCompetitorName + inurl:contributors
Keyword/ + “guest blog” + inanchor:contact
Keyword/yourCompetitorName + “guest blogger” + inanchor:contact
Keyword/yourCompetitorName + “guest Column” + inanchor:contact
Keyword/yourCompetitorName + “guest article” + inanchor:contact
Keyword/yourCompetitorName + “write for us” + inanchor:contact
Keyword/yourCompetitorName + “write for me” + inanchor:contact
Keyword/yourCompetitorName + “become a contributor” + inanchor:contact
Keyword/yourCompetitorName + “contribute to this site” + inanchor:contact
Replace ‘Keyword’ with the keyword of your choice. And use Keyword/yourCompetitorName to find where your competitors are guest blogging.
Why are blogs such powerful tools for SEO?
Because every blog post you write is another web page, and every web page is an opportunity to rank well in the search engines for specific search terms that your potential customers are doing right now, in a month or even next year. Good content will always attract readers and generate more leads for your business.
Blogging has been around for many years, yet it is only now that many businesses are only just realising the full impact it can have on their search engine marketing and SEO campaigns. The truth is: business related blogs and blogging is a big plus in any SEO marketing campaign.
Blogging helps you in many positive ways:
- Helping your business find its niche
- Helping to increase the natural traffic coming to your website
- Increasing your website’s content, which is always good for SEO
- Showing search engines that you are constantly providing useful and relevant information to your website visitors.
- Keeping your website fresh on a daily or weekly basis
Whether you’re a large blue chip company or just starting out in business, blogging is essential and can provide all websites old and new a healthy boost in the search engines.
So, if you haven’t already started we hope this guide will help you on your way.
Top 15 tips to blogging for SEO
A good way to find forums within your industry is to use the below searches on Google:
Keyword + “newsgroups”
Keyword + “forum”
Replace ‘Keyword’ with the keyword of your choice.
2. Use Google AdWords Keyword Tool and enter some keywords you would like to rank well for. This is a free tool and it will show you how many people are searching for your keyword phrases and even help you find more suited phrases that you can use within your blog post.
3. Usually the title of your blog post becomes the title of the web page. It is always best to edit these for maximum visibility.
- Search engines give more weight to the first few words in a title, so place your keywords at the beginning. An example might be, “Facebook Marketing: How to Generate Leads from the World’s Best Social Site,”
- The colon is your friend. If you have a couple of competing keyword phrases that both seem appropriate, use a colon. For example, if you’re writing about car parts, you could try “Disk Brake Instructions: How to Change your Disc Brakes.”
4. Do not underestimate the importance of relevance. Keep your blog articles relevant to your business and content rich, it will only add strength in its ability to attract inbound links. Remember Google’s whole purpose is to provide their customers (searchers) with relevant and useful search results.
5. Providing the blog articles you write are relevant to your industry/business the search engines will view the articles you post on your blog as being relevant to your website. Additionally, the more you write and the more you post, the search engines will perceive you as an expert in your industry.
6. While writing your blog articles it is essential to keep in mind the importance of keywords that are relevant to your main website and of course the article itself. Do not stuff your articles with these keywords, keep it natural with just a few mentions scattered throughout the article. Use these keywords to place links back to your website, not just to the homepage but to other pages of your website which are relevant to your article.
For example: If I wrote an article on ‘payment gateways’ I could scatter just a few keywords such as ‘payment gateways’ in a sentence such as ‘madeup is one of the leading payment gateways in the UK’. I would then place a link in the whole sentence and not just on the words ‘payment gateway’ and link this back to a page on my website related to payment gateways.
Here is an example:
<a href=”http://www.yourwebsite.com/payments-gateways.asp” title=”madeup payment gateway”>madeup is one of the leading payment gateways in the UK</a>
7. Bear in mind that the articles you are writing are for your visitors and not for the search engines so keeping them legible, interesting and on topic is the key.
8. The search engines are smart, smarter than most people think and they will pick up on articles that are created to try and fool and manipulate their algorithms for the sole purpose of trying to gain higher search engine rankings.
9. Your main goal is for readers of your articles to share them across their own network of friends through social media channels such as Facebook, Twitter and even on their own blogs, the more interesting the article is, the better chance you have of this happening.
10. Remember; do not stuff your articles with keywords; just a few mentions of your targeted terms will help your organic search engine rankings.
11. Blogs are great to increase your websites page count. Just one new page per blog article you write will see your page count increase quickly. If you can only manage to write one blog article a week it’s a start, but start you must. If you have more resources you can try writing a blog article a day which will see your page count increase significantly.
12. Add images if possible and video content into your articles.
13. Commenting on blogs will help you get you more traffic, exposure and new relationships.
A good way to find blogs within your industry is to use the below searches on Google:
Keyword + site:wordpress.com
Keyword + site:blogspot.com
Keyword + site:typepad.com
Keyword + site:edublogs.org
Keyword + site:livejournal.com
Keyword + intext:”powered by wordpress”
Keyword + intext:”powered by typepad”
Replace ‘Keyword’ with the keyword of your choice.
14. Share other people’s content written by other bloggers, as they will be more likely to share yours.
Search engines do love blogs. Blogs give search engines exactly what they want – original content, presented in a natural way.
With all the search engine algorithm changes over the last couple of years, it is essential to gain inbound links the natural way.
If your blog is interesting, another blogger (and likely more than one) will link to it in his blog. And if he likes it a lot, he may even put a direct link to your site, thereby increasing your overall traffic as well. When used correctly, blogs can be an invaluable tool for your search engine marketing campaign, helping you to create a deeper level of content, rank higher in the engines and increase organic search engine traffic.
15. Read, study and use http://moz.com/
As far as I am concerned Moz is undoubtable the best resource for SEO related material. Their blog content might be a little over your head to begin with, but in time you will start to absorb ideas about trends, tactics and best practices. Even if you only check in every couple of weeks and read one or two articles your knowledge and understanding will grow.