Below is a step-by-step guide on how to enable Amazon custom attributes on your online shop.
Step 1: Install ‘Product Attributes’ feature
The first step is to install Product Attributes on your EKM account. You will find this under the Features section when logged in to your account. After you have accessed the Features section, you will find Product Attributes listed under More Features. Clicking on the feature will give you an overview of its functionality and numerous examples of what you would use the feature for. Activate the feature by simply clicking Install.
Once you have installed the feature you will be presented with a list of attributes which you can enable/disable. Ensure you have the Custom Attributes field enabled and press Update.
Step 2: Assign ‘Amazon Product Type’
You will now need to assign Amazon Product Type as a custom attribute. To do this, start by heading over to the ‘Shop’ on the top navigation bar and then press the edit button on any given product.
Once in the Edit Product Interface, enter the Attributes section found on the left navigation bar. Here you will see your standard product attributes section and a Custom Attributes section. In the Name field of the custom attributes section, enter “Amazon Product Type”. Enter a value for the product type from the Amazon classifications (e.g. “Toy Car”).
Note: If the product that you are editing has variants you will first need to go into the ‘Variants’ section, edit a variant and assign the custom attribute ‘Amazon Product Type’ in the attribute section of that variant. Remember to press ‘Save & Close’ to save your changes.
Step 3: Import/Export
If you do not already have the Import/Export System installed, head over to the Features section to do so as you did with the Product Attributes feature.
1. Once installed, select ‘Export To File’ and then ‘Export Products’.
2. Leave All Categories selected and press Next.
3. Next you will need to choose the fields that you wish to be in your export. Start by using the Deselect All button to leave only the mandatory fields selected (Action, ID, CategoryPath, Name).
4. Select the Attributes box which can be found last on the list. If you have any products with variants, select VariantItem1 and this will highlight all of the necessary variant boxes for you. To proceed press Next.
5. Select CSV File from the list and then download the file.
6. Once in the CSV file, you will first need to put the word "Edit" before all of your products. For instance, in column ‘A’ it will say editproduct on all of your products.
7. Next locate your attributes column. Based on what you have previously set up in the edit product interface, the column heading should read “Attribute:AMAZONPRODUCTTYPE”. Scroll down this column and you will find the product that you manually entered the custom attribute to earlier. Depending on the value you entered on the custom attribute it will look something like “Toy:1000:True” (Amazon classification=Toys : Order location=1000 : Public/Private=True/False). You will need to use this format on all of your products. The only field that will change will be the Amazon classification field.
8. Save the file and go back to the ‘Import/Export System’ on your EKM account. This time select Import From File, choose the file from your file manager and Upload.
9. Once the file has uploaded, you will see the file name in the list of uploaded files. Click on the file name and Test For Errors before starting the import process. The error check may notify you of fields that you may need to change before you import the file. If the file has no errors, Start Import Process.
Step 4: Download your product feed
Upon completion of the import, go back to the shop tab and check a product to validate that the custom attribute has been added successfully. If so, head over to the Marketing section to find Step 6 where you can download your Amazon product feed.
[more]Ready to get started with Amazon Product Ads? And for maximum potential to convert millions of Amazon shoppers to your customers, link up with an Amazon Payments account. Follow this guide to sign up for an account now.[/more]