When adding your products, you may find that you wish to have certain variations of that product. For example, you may be selling an item that is available with or without an "HDMI Cable" and at various lengths. Not only may you wish to have these two variants, but you might have differing stock levels of each variant. This guide will give you an introduction into product variants and how to set them up.
The example below will show you how to add two product variants and how to edit the values applicable to them.
1. When editing a product, you will see the Product Variants menu as illustrated below:
2. Clicking Add New Variant will allow you to set the new variant you wish to add. For example, you would enter "Add HDMI" in the following prompt:
When you have added your variant, you will then be taken back to the main product editing page which will now show the variant you have just added. In this section you will be able to edit any variants that you have set up.
3. To change the title of a variant, simply click Edit next to the variant title;
Now you will see in your product editing page the data you have entered;
4. Whilst we can modify most of the variant attributes on the main edit product page, you can expand into the screen illustrated below by clicking the Edit button next to a given variant. This will give you more options such as Images & Photos, Delivery Charges and Attributes.
5. Assigning a different image to the variant is exactly the same as assigning the main images, simply click the main image button, select to upload a new image or use an existing image and select the image as normal.
You can also drag your image file onto a spare placeholder. Once this has been updated, when your customers change the drop down options on the product page then the image will update to show a different image. This is particularly useful if you offer items in different colours.
6. Simply repeat this process on all of the items that require variants to be set within them. You can also bulk amend various parameters within your products and their variants by referring to the Advanced Inventory Manager guide.
[remember]It is important not to become confused between the differences of Product Variants and Product Options. The variants are literally variations of the product, meaning you will most likely have different colours and stock levels of such product variations of that particular item; whereas a product option is simply an optional element that can be assigned to the product as a whole - such as whether you want the item gift wrapping which would offer the choices of Yes or No.[/remember]
It is not possible to have different product options within each product variant, just like it is not possible to have different product descriptions within each product variant.