Google Analytics is a free online tool that helps you track how customers access and behave on your online shop. This invaluable tool helps determine factors that need to be acted upon to increase the amount of conversions you receive on your online shop.
[remember]The tracking code Google provide within Google Analytics contains a unique reference number which uses the format of UA-XXXXXXX-X where the X's reference your Google Analytics account. So don't copy the code from examples or elsewhere on the web. [/remember]
This guide covers:
- Linking a brand new Google Analytics account to your EKM shop
- Linking an existing Google Analytics account to your EKM shop
- Enabling Ecommerce Tracking within Google Analytics in order to record order details
Linking a brand new Google Analytics Account
Start by heading over to Google Analytics and creating an account.
Next, you will need to to fill in some basic details. This will include:
- Creating an Account Name
- Entering your Website Name (note this is not the website URL just your online shop's name)
- Enter you Website URL (you can find this by going to 'Settings > Domain Name' on your EKM account)
- Choose your Industry Category
- Finally, choose the Time Zone you will be reporting from.
Click Get Tracking ID and agree to the terms and conditions and your account will be created.
Once you are logged into your account you will be presented with a Tracking Code. Copy this code in its entirety and then head over to your EKM account.
if you have not previously done so, you will need to install the Google Tools feature on your EKM account so that you can link it to your Google Analytics account.
You will find Google Tools in the Features section of your EKM account. After installing the feature you will see that you are presented with three boxes:
- Google Analytics Tracking Code
- Google Adwords Conversion Tracking
- Google Verification
Paste the Tracking Code that you previously copied into the Google Analytics Tracking Code box on your Google Tools feature.
Remember to press Save Changes button when you are finished.
By heading back to your Google Analytics account you will now see that your online shop will be linked and ready to use.
Linking an Existing Google Analytics Account
If you've already set up a Google Analytics account, the tracking code will be found within your account.
Log into your Google Analytics Account
Go to the Admin section
Within the Property column, click on Tracking Info
- Click on Tracking Code form the small menu
Copy the code from within the Global Site Tag (gtag.js) box that appears
Log into your EKM Shop
Go to Features > Google Tools
Paste the code into the Google Analytics Tracking Code box
Press Save Changes at the bottom of the page
Enable Ecommerce Tracking
Log into your Google Analytics account
Go to the Admin section
Within the View column select Ecommerce Settings
- Toggle the Enable Ecommerce Status to On and press Next Step
- Leave Enhanced Ecommerce off and press the Submit button
- Your EKM shop will handle the rest and next time you receive an order on your shop, the data should appear within the Conversions > Ecommerce > Overview section of Google Analytics
- If you need to change the currency symbol shown within Google Analytics, within the Admin > View column. Select View Settings and update the dropdown labelled "Currency displayed as". Then press Save at the bottom of the page.
[more]Something else you may be interested in - 3 Google Analytic Reports to help improve your Google Adwords.[/more]
[more]Need to set up Cross-Domain Tracking? - Cross-Domain Tracking within Google Tools for Google Analytics[/more]