[intro] When you have completed this guide, you will have installed the Social Plugins feature onto your EKM online shop with some or all of the suggested social media platforms. For each platform you have linked to your EKM online shop, you will have also have learned how to customise that platform to match your branding, recognise what kind of content you need to create for that platform and how to target potential customers on that platform.[/intro]
It's essential that when you have created your EKM online shop that you produce some social media to promote it. Social media is essential especially if you don't have a paid advertising budget; creating an online buzz about your Products can encourage traffic to your EKM online shop and in turn, this produces lots of organic backlinks which also aid you in terms of getting ranked higher in search engine results too.
There's a lot of e-commerce sites out there for you to compete with online; some of them are huge and well-established whilst others are small and very young. Some online shops will have dedicated staff who managed complex advertising campaigns and dependent on your industry, you will probably be trying to compete with some very big companies. The advantage that you have - even if you can't yet afford to invest in online advertising - is by managing and planning your social media yourself; quality relatable content posted online can work wonders in terms of attracting new customers to your EKM online shop and it costs nothing more than time for you to make this happen.
Within this guide, you'll learn how to install the Social Plugins feature on your EKM online shop, which is used to link to your different social media accounts. When you have installed this and created social media accounts specific to your Products and your brand, be sure to read our Social Media Strategy guide which will help you learn to define and produce content to publish online for the best possible impact.
Installing the Social Plugins feature
1. To install the Social Plugins feature, log into your EKM online shop and click the Features tab.
2. Then click the Social Plugins icon:
3. Click the green Install Feature button:
4. Each of the icons within the feature represents a different social media platform, and each can be used to attract customers to visit your EKM online shop.
5. The Choose Social Plugins drop-down menu to the right selects where the icons should be displayed on your EKM online shop. We recommend adding the logos to the homepage, with the Share button located on the Product Pages. This ensures that when customers visit your homepage, they can easily locate and follow you on different social media platforms, whilst on the Product Pages, they can share your Products on their own social media accounts.
Select Product Page from the drop-down menu and drag one of the Share buttons into the lower box:
6. When you have configured the Share button on the Product Pages, simply click the green Update button to the bottom right of the screen. Now you need to change the drop-down menu back to Main Menu and link social media accounts dedicated to your EKM online shop.
You don’t have to create an account on every platform on offer however it is beneficial if you at least set it up, as the content you generate becomes backlinks on social media and that will help you display higher up in search engine results, as well as making it easy for new customers to quickly locate your EKM online shop.
Configuring each Social Media Account
To set up an account on each of the platforms, click the links below:
[tips] You don't need to update every platform at first! Start off slowly and increase your profiles as you build momentum. A blog and a Facebook Page, Instagram account or Twitter profile are good to begin with. We can even create these profiles for you and your first few posts, ask our team about our Get Social Packages [/tips]
When you have connected your social media accounts to your EKM online shop, you then need to develop your Social Media Strategy; this ensures that going forward, you have defined what to post and when on each of your accounts to encourage potential customers to visit your shop and to raise an awareness of your Products and your brand.
[contact] If you need our help with your EKM online shop, contact your Account Manager or Customer Support, who will be able to point you in the right direction. We're open from 8am-6pm weekdays and 9am-5.30pm on the weekends. If you'd like to suggest a feature or an upgrade on any of the EKM platforms, please let us know on the EKM Suggestions board. If you have a non-account specific question ask the EKM Team, join us in ekmCommunity. [/contact]