[intro] In this guide, you will learn how to create and customise a simplified version of a Wordpress blog for your EKM online shop using the Wordpress feature. You will also need to have installed the Social Plugins feature. [/intro]
On the Features tab of your EKM online shop, there is a Wordpress Blog feature. All you need to do is install this feature which will create a Wordpress blog for you and link this as a subdomain on your domain name automatically. This means you won’t have to set up a subdomain on your domain manually. As an example, if your EKM online shop domain is www.yourdomain.co.uk, your Wordpress blog address would become www.yourdomain.co.uk/blog automatically.
[caution] Please ensure you have pointed a domain name at your EKM online shop before you install the Wordpress Blog feature on the Features page to ensure that when the subdomain for your blog is created, it is done so successfully on the correct domain. [/caution]
Installing the Wordpress Blog feature
1. To install the Wordpress Blog feature, log into your EKM online shop account and click the Features tab:
2. Click the Wordpress Blog icon:
3. Click the green Install Feature button:
4. You will then see this screen as your Wordpress Blog is created:
5. When the Wordpress Blog has been created, click the green Login button:
Customising your Wordpress Blog
When you have logged into your Wordpress dashboard, you need to customise it to suit your EKM online shop.
1. To do this, click the greeting in the top right-hand corner of the screen:
2. In the menu that drops down, select Advanced Mode:
3. This will enable the Advanced Mode Dashboard. Click the blue Customize Your Site button to the left:
4. Click the Change button on the left-hand menu:
5. This will load up all of the Themes that can be added to your blog. Try and select one which is similar to the Theme applied to your EKM online shop. You can customise this further with matching images to encourage brand continuity later on. Click the blue Live Preview buttons to see what each Theme looks like:
6. When you have selected a Theme you would like to use, preview it and then click Activate & Publish in the top left:
7. You will now be able to edit the sidebar of your blog by clicking each of the blue edit icons:
8. Use the menu on the left-hand side of the screen to add your logo and taglines and select which elements should be removed- if any. You can also click the Add a Widget button, which will enable you to select other widgets to add to your sidebar from an extensive list:
9. When you have finished making your changes, click the blue Publish button in the top left-hand corner and click the X next to that to return to the Wordpress Dashboard:
Writing your first Blog Post
10. You can now write your first blog post. To do this, click Write Your First Blog Post on the dashboard:
On this page, you need to give your blog post a title and add the content into the fields provided. You can also assign your blog post to a Category on the bottom right-hand corner of the page, which is useful if you plan to blog about different aspects of your Products, such as Discounts & Special Offers, Coming Soon, etc.
11. When you have finished writing your first blog post, simply click Publish in the top right-hand corner of the screen.
12. You have now created your first post on your Wordpress blog! You can see how your post looks on your blog by clicking My Sites on the top left and then selecting Visit Site:
Click here to learn how to link your Blog to your EKM online shop using the Social Plugins feature.
- Features - Social Plugins
- Social Plugins - Twitter
- Social Plugins - Instagram
- Social Plugins - Facebook
- Social Plugins - G+
- Social Plugins - LinkedIn
- Social Plugins - Pinterest
- Social Plugins - YouTube
- Creating your Social Media Strategy
[contact] If you need our help with your EKM online shop, contact your Account Manager or Customer Support, who will be able to point you in the right direction. We're open from 8am-6pm weekdays and 9am-5.30pm on the weekends. You can reach us on 0333 004 0333 and all calls are charged at local rate. [/contact]