You are here: Features - Social Plugins > Social Plugins - Facebook
[intro] Before you begin this guide, you need to ensure that you have installed the Social Plugins feature and that you have an existing personal Facebook account you can use to make a Facebook Page to promote your EKM online shop. If you do not have an existing Facebook account, you need to click here to make one. You will also need to have pointed a domain at your EKM online shop before you begin. [/intro]
- Create a Facebook Page
- Create a Facebook Page Username
- Add a Shop Tab to your Facebook Page
- How to update your Page Status and scheduling Statuses
- Suggested Status Updates
- How to invite people to Like your Page
- How to use Facebook as your Page
- Who to Follow
- Monitoring your Traffic
- Linking to the Social Plugins feature
Created in 2004, the Facebook platform is the biggest social media platform out there, and an excellent way of promoting your brand and products both within your physical locality and to potential new customers online.
Facebook itself is very insular, so it’s important that you have some presence on there to advertise yourself to users who perhaps rarely leave Facebook to venture onto other sites without seeing an online recommendation from friends and family first.
A Facebook Page is different from a personal profile; Facebook Pages have been created especially to advertise a business, company, brand, or charity; they can be followed (without a user having to put in a Friend Request) and all of their content is public. This encourages Facebook users to learn about your business, see your products and read reviews from previous customers.
Facebook users cannot see your personal profile via your Facebook Page unless of course, you want them to. Otherwise, when you invite your existing Facebook Friends to like and follow your new Facebook Page, they will get a notification but it will not show whether you are the page owner, or whether you just thought the page would be of interest to them.
Create a Facebook Page
1. To begin, you need to click this link: https://www.facebook.com/pages/create - your browser should automatically recognise your existing Facebook account and log you in automatically.
2. Select Local Business or Place:
3. Add the contact details in the fields provided and click the blue Get Started button:
4. You will then see what will become your Facebook Page. Click Add a Picture and Add a Cover to upload branded images.
You need to upload a profile image which contains your logo first; this must be 180 pixels square. Your cover image needs to be 1920 pixels wide by 1080 pixels wide. These images should have a very similar design to your EKM online shop to encourage brand continuity.
5. When you have uploaded both images, you need to click Add a Short Description:
6. Write a short description for your Page that summarises your brand, business and Products, before clicking the blue Save button:
Create a Facebook Page Username
You then need to create a username for your Facebook Page. You need this because it makes your Facebook Page easier to find for Facebook users, and it is used to link your Facebook Page to the Social Plugins Feature on your EKM online shop.
7. Click Create a Username for Your Page:
8. Add your username into the field provided. Ensure that there are no spaces, and that the name matches your branding on your EKM online shop. However, if the username you want is not available, add your location too. For example, instead of EvesTestShop, you would try EvesTestShopLancashire. Enter your username, check that the spelling is correct and then click the blue Create username button:
9. You’ll then see this window to confirm that your username has been set up correctly:
10. Now you need to populate the rest of the page with as much information as you can. Click See More on the left-hand side menu:
11. Then click About:
12. On this page, you need to complete as much information as possible to flesh the page out. A lot of it such as Our Story, can be pasted text from the About Us page of your EKM online shop. If you want customers to see your Personal Profile, you would click Add Yourself as a Team Member, but this is not necessary. When you have finished updating this page, you need to click Home on the left-hand side:
13. Click the blue Add A Button on the right hand side:
14. From the list provided in the window, select Shop with You or make a Donation, and then tick the box for Shop Now, before clicking the blue Next button on the bottom right:
15. You now need to select Website Link beneath Step 2:
16. Add the domain name of your EKM online shop into the field provided, then click the blue Save button:
17. You then need to click the blue Finish button on the bottom right:
Add a Shop Tab to your Facebook Page
Finally, you need to add a Shop tab to your Facebook Page. This provides links to the products on your EKM online shop that can be easily shared on the Facebook Platform.
18. To do this, click the Settings tab on the top right of your Facebook Page:
19. Click Templates and Tabs on the left-hand side:
20. Scroll down this page, and below the Tabs header, click the Add A Tab button:
21. Click Add Tab next to Shop, and then click the Close button on the bottom right:
22. Click Page on the top left of the screen to return to Facebook Page:
23. Click See more on the left-hand side:
24. Click Shop:
25. Tick the box to agree to the Terms & Conditions and then click the blue Continue button:
26. Tick the box for Check Out on Another Website and then click the blue Continue button on the right:
27. Ensure the currency is correct and then click the blue Save button on the right:
This will launch the Shop tab of your Facebook Page. Obviously, it’s empty at the moment, however when you have uploaded some Products, customers will be able to view and share your Products without leaving Facebook. Should they wish to purchase the Product, they will automatically be redirected to the Product Page on your EKM online shop.
28. Click the blue Add Products button:
29. At this point, it’s useful to open a separate tab on your browser to visit your EKM online shop via the front end by using the domain name as if you were a customer. On your own EKM online shop, go to the Product Page of a Product you would like to add to your Facebook Page, and copy the details of the Product into the Add Product window on your Facebook Page. Ensure you upload the Product Image too, and populate the Checkout URL field with the address of the Product Page, before clicking the blue Save button on the bottom right:
30. You’ll then see a notification to advise you that the Product has been successfully added to your Facebook Page:
31. You need to repeat this process for the rest of your Products to populate the Shop tab of the Facebook Page and to encourage customers to visit your EKM online shop. If you stock hundreds or even thousands of Products, begin by listing your most popular on the Shop tab.
You can then aim to duplicate the Categories on your EKM online shop into Collections of your Facebook Page Shop tab. Begin by adding two or three rows of Products, and increase this over time. This does take time, but a populated page is a lot more beneficial than an empty one!
At the beginning, you will need to invest time into interacting with other Facebook Pages, visitors to your Pages and updating your status until you have grown an active, populated and regularly updated Facebook Page.
How to update your Page Status & Scheduling Statuses
Now you have added information about your company and uploaded some Products to your Shop tab, you need to write your first status. This ensures that when people arrive on your page, they can read and comment on your first status as well as view the rest of the Page content.
Creating a new status is very easy. Looking at the Page as a customer would see it, begin to type your message in the status field before clicking the blue Publish button to post it on your Facebook Page:
It’s worth mentioning too that you can schedule your Facebook Page updates to be automatically published in the future. This is useful if you are preparing lots of updates all at once, as you can simply write and schedule each one accordingly. To schedule a status update, write the content as normal, but this time click the arrow symbol next to the blue Publish button, before selecting Schedule:
You then need to click the Calendar symbol to select the date you want the status to be published and amend the time accordingly, using the 24 hour clock:
When you have completed this, click the blue Schedule button:
You’ll then see your scheduled status hidden on your Facebook Page wall:
Suggested Status Updates
Now you have set up your Facebook Page and written your first status update, you can begin to look at the different kind of content you can publish to your Facebook Page. You are aiming to post content that is relevant to your EKM online shop, appealing to potential customers and in an ideal world, shareable too.
Status updates with an image attached to them perform better than those that don’t so with that in mind, aim to create an image for each of your Facebook Page updates. An image on a status update should ideally be 1200 pixels wide by 627 pixels high - and ensure if you add any text to the image, don’t make it too small as when the image is added to Facebook, it will display as different sizes according to whether it’s being viewed on a mobile phone, tablet, laptop or desktop.
- If you have a blog for your EKM online shop, post a link to your latest blog post and pin this to the top of the page until you have published your next blog post. This will help drive traffic to your blog.
- If you are running an offer or promotion on your EKM online shop, advertise this as a status update on your Facebook Page.
- If you open another social media profile, such as Twitter or Instagram for example, link to it in a status update - that way customers who also have accounts on a separate platform can follow you there too.
- If you see a news story, blog post or article that you feel your customers would be interested in, link this to a status update.
How to invite people to like your Page
Now you have an idea of the kind of content to publish on your Facebook Page, you need to invite people on your existing Friends List to like your Page. To do this, view your Page on the front end as a visitor would see it and look to the right:
You should see Facebook Friends from your own personal profile listed with Invite buttons next to each. Click the See All Friends link:
This will list all of your Friends within that window. All you need to do is click the Invite button next to each one that you think would be interested in supporting you, liking your Page and buying your Products from your EKM online shop.
How to use Facebook as your Page
As well as inviting the people on your Friends List to like your Page, you need to encourage others to like it too. A good way to do this is to use Facebook as your Page, and have your Page Like other Facebook Pages within your locality.
To do this, run a search on Facebook for your hometown, and then click Pages:
This will show all of the other Facebook Pages within your locality. Some of the Pages in the example are liked already by me via my Personal Profile, and some aren’t:
Click a Page from your list of results, and beneath it’s cover image, click the three horizontal dots:
From the drop-down menu, select Like as your Page:
You’ll then see a window where you can select your Page from a drop-down list. Select your Page and click the blue Submit button.
The owner of this Facebook Page will receive a notification that your Page has liked their Page, and this should encourage them to come and visit your Page. As always, social media is a two way-street and you should interact with other Facebook Pages as often as possible. Whilst you are working through the Facebook Pages in your locality, after you have Liked the Page as your Page, be sure to leave a comment on their wall.
To do this, click the down arrow next to your Profile Picture:
This will reveal the name of your Page (and any other Pages you help manage too). Select the correct page from the list:
You should see the profile picture change from your own personal profile picture to that of your Facebook Page:
Then write your comment in the field provided and press enter to publish it.
Who to Follow
As well as following Facebook Pages in your hometown which should help your business, brand and Products gain awareness within your locality, look for Facebook Pages that relate to your industry. For example, if you sell cosmetics, follow some of the makeup brands such as Revlon, Urban Decay or Too Faced and leave comments where you can.
It’s also worth following pages that you think your customers may be interested in. The theory behind this is that you can encourage potential customers from different Pages to come and visit your Facebook Page. For example, if you sell car parts, it may be worth following the Top Gear Page and leaving the odd comment or sharing an update from there. You can find EKM's Facebook Page by clicking here.
Monitoring your Traffic
As you spend more time on your Facebook Page encouraging fans and posting updates, you need to get to know the Insights tab. On here, you will be able to get feedback on how well your Facebook Page is performing.
To access your Insights, from your Facebook Page, click Insights:
As my own example Test Shop Page has no traffic yet, I’ve used another Page I manage so I can provide you with an example of an Insights tab on a heavily populated page:
On the Insights tab, you’ll see a brief summary of the different ways the Facebook Page is measured. Each of the grey headers can be clicked so you can investigate each in greater depth. Going forward, you need to monitor this tab regularly so you can see how well your Page is performing and use this to shape the kind of status updates and content that work the most successfully with your Fans.
Linking to the Social Plugins feature
Finally, to link your Facebook Page to the Social Plugins feature on your EKM online shop, you need the Page Username that you created at the beginning of this guide. It is visible in the address bar of your browser when you are viewing your Facebook Page:
1. Copy the Username only, and then return to the Social Plugins feature within your EKM online shop:
2. Drag the Facebook logo into the lower field, and then paste in your Facebook Page Username into the field provided:
3. Click the Update button, and this will remove the red warning bar as your Facebook Social Plugin is now correctly configured.
Be sure to read Creating your Social Media Strategy for further advice on creating content for your target market.
- Features - Social Plugins
- Social Plugins - Blog
- Social Plugins - Pinterest
- Social Plugins - Instagram
- Social Plugins - Twitter
- Social Plugins - G+
- Social Plugins - LinkedIn
- Social Plugins - YouTube
- Creating your Social Media Strategy
- How to add Facebook Pixel to your EKM online shop
[contact] If you need our help with your EKM online shop, contact your Account Manager or Customer Support, who will be able to point you in the right direction. We're open from 8am-6pm weekdays and 9am-5.30pm on the weekends. If you'd like to suggest a feature or an upgrade on any of the EKM platforms, please let us know on the EKM Suggestions board. [/contact]