[intro] Before you begin this guide, you need to ensure that you have installed the Social Plugins feature on your EKM online shop and have already created a Google account for yourself beforehand. If you have not completed this task, click here to do so. [/intro]
- Creating your G+ Personal Profile
- Creating a G+ Business Page
- Customising your G+ Business Page
- What kind of content to share
- Who to follow
- Connecting your G+ Business Page to your EKM online shop
G+ - formerly know as Google Plus - is Google’s own social media platform. Whilst it is not often the first choice for many, creating content on the G+ platform can do wonders for you in terms of online traffic, as anyone running a search for you who isn’t familiar with Facebook, Twitter and the other social media platforms can easily find backlinks to your EKM online shop without having to log into a specific social media account as links to your G+ Business Page will appear in Google search engine results and on Google maps too.
A G+ Business Page is also a good place to receive customer Reviews, which are displayed when within search engine results too, and this provides a platform for feedback for customers who aren’t Facebook users.
Before you create a Business Page, you need to create a Personal G+ Profile first. For the purposes of demonstration, as I don’t have an actual business of my own, I’ll be setting up a G+ Business Page for a local non-profit group.
Creating your G+ Personal Profile
1. Click this link. You may be asked to sign in using your existing Gmail account details. Complete the fields required and click Create Profile:
2. You need to upload a Profile Image which matches your EKM online shop branding - ideally your logo. The image needs to be 250 pixels by 250 pixels; when displayed the image is circular, so bear this in mind if you're adding text to it. Upload your Profile Image by clicking the blue camera icon, and then click the blue Save button:
3. This will then launch your G+ Personal Profile. Click Profile:
4. You then need to upload a cover image to the Profile. Your cover image needs to be 1080 pixels wide by 608 pixels high. Click Edit Profile:
5. You then need to click each of the camera symbols to upload your Profile and Cover images. When you have uploaded both, click the Save button:
Creating a G+ Business Page
You now have a G+ Personal Profile. However, like Facebook, you have to create a Page especially for your EKM online shop.
6. To do this, click this link and then add your company name before clicking the blue Next button:
7. You now need to add the name and address of your business into the fields provided, before clicking the blue Next button:
8. Confirm where you're located on Google Maps, and then click Next:
9. Apply a business category to your listing and click the blue Next button:
10. Add the domain name of your EKM online shop and the phone number customers can contact you on if they have any queries before clicking Next:
11. Click Yes (as it's always useful to receive updates and recommendations from Google) and then click the blue Next button:
12. Click the blue Continue button:
13. You'll now be able to complete your name in the field provided to enable Google to send a postcard to your business premises. It usually takes around a week for it to arrive. Add your name and click the blue Post button:
14. You'll now see the confirmation screen. Click the blue Customise Listing button:
15. You'll then see a pop-up window. Again, I recommend ticking Yes as it's always good to receive recommendations from Google as to how to make my Page perform the best it possibly can, before clicking the Get Started button:
Customising your G+ Business Page
16. Now you need to customise your Business Page. Click the button to add a Profile Photo:
17. Click Choose Photo:
18. When you have selected and uploaded a Profile Photo from your computer, click Set Profile Photo:
19. You then need to click Choose Photo again, but this time upload your Cover Image:
20. If you have created a video to promote your EKM online shop, click Add Videos, and if you have physical business premises which can be visited by members of the public, upload an Interior Photo - however, if you have premises but these cannot be visited by the public, simply upload an Exterior Photo only:
With G+ Business Pages, the more content you add, the better the Page will perform. As with all social media platforms, content added that all points to your EKM online shop will aid you in attracting traffic to your brand and your products. Aim to add as many quality photos and videos as you can if possible.
21. Click Home:
22. We need to add even more information to the Page. Click Add Hours:
23. Click each switch to indicate what days you are open for business, and your opening hours before clicking the Apply button:
You then need to wait for your Postcard to arrive from Google before you can complete the rest of the set-up process.
What kind of content to share
- If you have set up a blog for your EKM online shop, be sure to post links to your blog posts here as and when you publish them. This will increase traffic both to your blog and to your EKM online shop.
- As always, posts with images assigned to them receive more engagement than those without. With that in mind, aim to create images for your status updates. On G+, they need to be 497 pixels wide by 373 pixels high.
- Be sure to mention any offers or promotions you have on your EKM online shop - a countdown to the 1st day and the last day of a promotion works well.
- If you have created any videos especially for your EKM online shop, be sure to add a link to them on your G+ Business Page.
- If there's now categories or products that have just landed at your EKM online shop, be sure to refer to these, with links to the appropriate Product and Category Pages too.
Who to Follow
- It’s a good idea to run a search for other G+ Business Pages within your physical locality. This will raise an awareness of your brand and products locally. Be sure to like and comment on these Business Pages to encourage them to do the same for you.
- Look up topics that you think your target customer is interested in, and look up Pages that are related to that topic. Again, follow and comment on these regularly too.
- If there are any Business Pages that where the company and its products would work well with your own, be sure to follow them too.
Connecting your G+ Business Page to your EKM online shop
To connect your G+ Business Page, you need to ensure that it has a custom URL. To get a custom URL, the Page must:
- Be at least 30 days old;
- Be populated with at least a Profile Photo;
- Have ten or more Followers;
- And be in good standing (no complaints or negative reviews, for example).
1. When you have added a custom URL to your G+ Business Page, you need to log into your EKM online shop and open the Social Plugins feature. Drag the G+ icon from the top field into the bottom field:
2. Then add your custom URL to the profile ID field before clicking the green Update button:
You have now linked your G+ Business Page to your EKM online shop.
Be sure to read Creating your Social Media Strategy for further advice on creating content for your target market.
- Features - Social Plugins
- Social Plugins - Blog
- Social Plugins - Pinterest
- Social Plugins - Instagram
- Social Plugins - Twitter
- Social Plugins - LinkedIn
- Social Plugins - Facebook
- Social Plugins - YouTube
- Creating your Social Media Strategy
[contact] If you need our help with your EKM online shop, contact your Account Manager or Customer Support, who will be able to point you in the right direction. We're open from 8am-6pm weekdays and 9am-5.30pm on the weekends. If you'd like to suggest a feature or an upgrade on any of the EKM platforms, please let us know on the EKM Suggestions board. [/contact]