[intro]When you have completed this guide, you will know what a Favicon is, and you’ll be able to identify an .ico file type. You will also learn how to create a Favicon which matches your logo and company branding and upload it to your EKM shop.[/intro]
Why should I add a Favicon?
You need to add a Favicon to your EKM online shop simply because it helps it look professional and ‘finished’. If you look at some of the largest online shops such as Tesco, Debenhams and B&Q, you’ll notice that they all have Favicons:
Although having a Favicon does not affect your shop in terms of improving SEO, from a customer experience point of view it’s excellent as it makes the browser tab viewing your shop stand out against any more that the customer may have open at the same time, and this also makes your shop more visible in the customer’s list of ‘favourites’, ‘bookmarked’ or ‘visited’ sites.
Creating your Favicon
1. To create a Favicon, you need to create the symbol first and then convert the file type. Create a .jpeg or .png image which is 50 x 50 pixels square. Ensure that the symbol is very basic and consists of minimal colours and details - too many colours or too much detail can result in a bad quality Favicon.
If you don’t have a specific symbol within your existing website logo that you can use, simply crop the first letter of your website name and use that single letter in your image instead.
2. When you have created this image, you need to use one of the many Favicon sites online to convert it into an .ico file - Favicons have to be .ico file types or they will not work. A website such as Favicon.cc is ideal for this. Click the Import Image button:
3. Click the Choose File button
4. Click Open:
5. Click Upload:
6. You’ll then see the preview of your Favicon. Click Download Favicon:
7. The file will automatically download into the Downloads Folder on your computer. Next, you need to log into your EKM online shop and click the Design tab:
8. Click File Manager:
9. Within the File Manager, click the Favicon tab:
10. Click the Drag & Drop Favicon Here text to select the .ico file from your computer, before clicking Open:
11. When the file has been uploaded, you will be able to see a preview of it below:
12. The Favicon will be visible on the front end of your EKM online shop:
- Adding Products using EKM's Edit Product window - Basic and Advanced
- Featured Products
- Claiming your free EKM Domain Name
- Adding an SSL Certificate to your EKM online shop
[contact] If you need our help with your EKM online shop, contact your Account Manager or Customer Support, who will be able to point you in the right direction. We're open from 8am-6pm weekdays and 9am-5.30pm on the weekends. If you'd like to suggest a feature or an upgrade on any of the EKM platforms, please let us know on the EKM Suggestions board. [/contact]