You are here: Navigation > Category Images, Category Descriptions and In Category Descriptions
When you have added Categories to your EKM online shop, it's important that you flesh them out with images and descriptions too. Visually, this makes it easier for your human customers to find their way through your EKM online shop, but in the case of Category and In Category Descriptions, this text is read by search engine bots so it is well worth ensuring that these fields are populated too.
Dependent on what Theme you have applied to your EKM online shop, you need to create Category Images which depict what can be found in the particular Category. If you are using a Theme that has a separate Mobile Theme, Category Images are essential as they are displayed on Mobile Themes as standard:
However, on responsive Themes without a separate Mobile Theme, Category Images are not displayed as standard, but our Tweaks Team can set them to display on Category Pages if that is something you would like on your site.
On the EKM platform, it is strongly recommended that you upload square Category Images, as these ensure that any design theme you apply to your EKM online shop will display correctly. Rectangular images can result in blank space on display, which can negatively impact your website design and in some extreme cases, user experience too in the case of rectangular images that are smaller than the 500x500 minimal limit.
With this in mind, you can upload Category Images as small as 500x500 pixels square and as large as 2000x2000 pixels. We recommend 1024x1024 pixels square as the optimum size for your Category Images and upload .png files as opposed to .jpeg images. This is because when .jpeg file types are magnified or shrunk down they automatically lose some of their resolution, whereas .png file types will retain their finer details regardless.
If you are taking photos of your own Products, we highly recommend free sites such as Canva.com (excellent for beginners to image editing) and Pixlr.com (an excellent site not unlike Photoshop) for cropping and editing your product images.
Uploading Category Images
1. When you have produced your Category Images, click the Shop tab in your EKM online shop:
2. Press the Edit Content button on the blue bar to your top right:
3. The will reveal the Edit Content buttons for each of your Categories (if the Theme on your EKM online shop doesn't allow you to see all of the categories at once as Tesla does in my example, click the menu and you will have an Edit Content button next to each of your Categories there):
4. You need to click the Edit Content button to open the Edit Category window:
5. Click the Images & Photos tab on the top left:
6. Click the Edit button on the bottom right-hand corner of the Image field, and then select Upload New to select the Category Image from your computer:
7. When the image has been uploaded, click Save & Close on the bottom right of the Edit Category window:
Within the Edit Category window, you’ll see a field for Category Description. Enter a short description in the field provided, before clicking Save & Close:
On some Themes, any text is within this area is displayed on the website. The Tesla Theme is a good example of this:
If your Theme does not display Category Descriptions where you would like it to, our Tweaks Team may be able to amend this for you. Give us a call on Customer Support for more information.
In Category Descriptions
In Category Descriptions are as the name suggests, descriptions which are visible when you view the Category Page. Their purpose is to summarise what Products can be found in that category, with brand names too if possible.
This is for your human visitors, but also for Google as well, as it will search that text for Product titles and brand names and list your site accordingly in search engine results.
1. To edit your In Category Description, click the Shop tab:
2. Ensure the Edit Content edit button is highlighted on the bar to your top right:
3. Using your menu, navigate to the Category Page you want to add the In Category Description to. Usually, the Edit Content button for this is placed near to the Category Name. Click the Edit Content button to open the Edit In Category Description window:
4. You now need to populate the field provided with a description for the Products that can be found within this Category. Contain Product and brand names if you can for Google purposes, but most importantly, make it sound human too. Ideally, you’re aiming for around 100 words within this area, which is a relatively short paragraph or two. When you have added your In Category Description, simply click the Save & Close button on the bottom right hand corner of the Edit In Category Description window:
If you are copying your In Category Description from elsewhere, such as another website or a Word document, ensure that you paste it into the NotePad application first (if you’re using a PC, run a search for Notepad, however if you are on a Mac, use TextEditor). Using this application ensures that any code used to format the text elsewhere is not carried onto your website, preventing text displaying in different sizes and colours throughout the paragraphs.
- Adding Categories using Advanced Inventory Manager
- Adding Categories and Subcategories using the Shop tab
[contact] If you need our help with your EKM online shop, contact your Account Manager or Customer Support, who will be able to point you in the right direction. We're open from 8am-6pm weekdays and 9am-5.30pm on the weekends.[/contact]