[intro] The Customer Login feature is a functionality which allows your customers to create accounts on your EKM online shop. This enables you to encourage loyalty as you can create offers with the Discount Management feature that are triggered when customers log into their accounts. [/intro]
The Customer Login feature allows customers to create accounts on your EKM online shop. They can then sign into that account when they visit your EKM online shop where they can view any previous orders. Installing Customer Login also means that you can offer your customers Loyalty Points, which are useful for encouraging return visits.
- Installing Customer Login
- How Customers Login
- Adding Customers Manually
- Customers creating their own Accounts
Installing Customer Login
1. To install the Customer Login feature, click on the Features tab:
2. Scroll down to the More Features box and click the Customer Login icon:
3. Click the green Install Feature button:
4. You’ll now see the first page of the Customer Login feature. Tick the box to the far right-hand side to Enable Checkout Customer Login:
You’ll notice that when you tick the box to Enable Customer Login, you’ll also see another box ticked automatically for Enable Guest Checkout. This is so that customers who don’t have accounts will not be forced to create one in order to complete their purchase.
You'll also notice that there's a box ticked under 'Visible Custom Fields' for 'Purchase Order Number'. Purchase Order Number is an Additional Information Field I have set up on the Order Complete page of the Checkout Flow, and by ticking this box, my customer can see the purchase order number (or whatever data was submitted as part of an Additional Information Field set up on the Order Summary or Order Complete page of the Checkout Flow) when they log into their account on my EKM online shop.
5. When you have ticked the relevant boxes, click the green Save button to the bottom right-hand side:
How Customers Login
Now you have installed the Customer Login feature, customers can create and log into their accounts on your EKM online shop. Where and how they do that depends on the settings within the feature itself.
If you have switched on the functionality to allow customers to log into or create accounts on your EKM online shop during the Checkout flow, they will see this:
At this point, it is worth opening a separate browser tab and visiting your EKM online shop via it’s domain name and looking for the Customer Login fields. Most Themes will already have the element for Customer Login added and once the feature has been installed, you’ll see the Custom Login symbol on the homepage.
For example, using the Odin responsive Theme on my test shop, you’ll see the Customer Login symbol on the top right of the homepage:
However, if you are using an older or previously customised Theme on your EKM online shop and you can't see a Customer Login symbol or form anywhere, please let us know as our Tweaks Team will be able to add this for you.
Adding Customers Manually
You can add customers to your EKM online shop manually if for whatever reason they are unable to create an account themselves, or for example, you have obtained their details and written consent in paper format and need to convert these details into a shop account.
[caution] Creating accounts manually for your customers involves you having to adhere to GDPR legislation, as you will be collecting personal data from your customer and processing it to create an account. To do this, you need to ensure that the customer has expressed their consent for you to create an account for them, and this consent should be recorded and stored safely in your records.
Whilst this Support Guide is for guidance, any personal information contained within our customer's EKM online shops is their own responsibility. We have taken security measures to ensure that our customers are protected against loss, alteration or misuse but GDPR compliance is the sole responsibility of the website/business owner.
1. To manually create a customer account on your EKM online shop, you need to click the Orders tab:
2. On the Orders page, click Add Customer:
3. You will then see the fields displayed for you to add your customer’s details. You need a minimum of their first name, their last name and their email address. It’s also a good idea to click the Add Note button too and record how you obtained the customer details, when you created the account and how the customer gave their consent for your own records. When you have completed all of the fields, click the green Save button in the top right:
4. This will open a window which enables you to email the customer. You'll notice that the Template field reads 'blank' which means I've not yet set up an email template for this action. You can create an Email Template by using this Guide, especially for the purpose of notifying customers about the steps required to finish setting up their accounts on your online shop. When you have finished your email, click the green Send button to send this to your customer:
The customer will then receive an email from your shop and it's up to them to complete the steps required to set up their password to then use their account.
Customers creating their own Accounts
It's now possible for customers to create their own Accounts on your EKM online shop, without them having to have purchased anything first. To do this, they would simply click on the 'Login' text or symbol on your EKM online shop:
They will then see an area where they can either log into an existing account or create a new one:
In the example, I'm using the Theme 'Bonsai' which is one of our more recent responsive Themes. If you cannot see similar options for your customers on your own EKM online shop, it could be due to the age of the Theme you're using. Get in contact with our Customer Support Team and they will be able to amend this for you.
[remember] If a customer creates their own account on your EKM online shop without purchasing anything, you will not be able to see their details in the View Customers tab on your Orders Page until the customer has purchased something and the system has sent them the usual correspondence. [/remember]
- Features - Password Protect
- Features - Discount Management
- Features - Social Plugins
- Using Hotjar on your EKM online shop
[contact] If you need our help with your EKM online shop, contact your Account Manager or Customer Support, who will be able to point you in the right direction. We're open from 8am-6pm weekdays and 9am-5.30pm on the weekends. If you'd like to suggest a feature or an upgrade on any of the EKM platforms, please let us know on the EKM Suggestions board. [/contact]