[intro] When you have completed this Guide, you will understand and be able to write Product Descriptions that are not only beneficial for your customers, but for search engines too. [/intro]
How important are Product Descriptions?
Product Descriptions are an essential requirement on your Product Pages and are invaluable for both the SEO and customer experience on your EKM online shop. It’s all very nice having beautiful, eye-catching Product Images, but without further information in the form of a good Product Description, customers are unlikely to purchase a Product without knowing all of the finer details about it.
I’ve been advised that I have to amend my existing Product Descriptions. Why?
This is probably because your existing Product Descriptions are too short or have been copied directly from your supplier. It could also be because the formatting of your Product Descriptions is incorrect - the use of too many different kinds of fonts, font colours and so on within a Product Description does not make for a positive customer experience.
How do I write a good Product Description?
Regardless of where your Products come from - a supplier, manufacturer or otherwise - you need to spend time writing your own Product Descriptions to ensure that they are unique to your brand, your company and your EKM online shop.
What needs to be in my Product Description?
A good Product Description consists of features - these can be traits unique to the Product such as features, functionality, measurements and specifications, for example - and a body of text.
The features, usually bullet-pointed, will list all of the useful points about the Product so a customer can determine the characteristics at glance. The text however, is to give the customer reasons to buy the Product. You need to tell them why they need the Product, how it can be used and what it is compatible with. If you can, try and reduce ‘buyer’s guilt’ too by detailing the potential usability and longevity the customer can expect from the Product in question.
How long does my Product Description need to be?
Ideally, you need to aim for a minimum of 100 words for the best possible impact. 100 words - including what you've bullet-pointed - should be enough to flesh out the Product Page without the customer having to scroll down below the fold to read more.
Why can I not use the Product Descriptions from my supplier or copied from other shops?
This is not recommended because search engines hate duplicate descriptions and can penalise your shop for doing this. Search engines ideally want all online shops and websites to be filled with unique content and as a result, the most quality content achieves high search engine results.
Duplicated content however, indicates that the content has come from elsewhere so the ‘authenticity’ of the shop or website may be brought into question if none of the content is unique.
[tips] If you are in any doubt about your own content being used elsewhere, use Copyscape.com and paste in your Product Description to check if it has been used on another shop or website. [/tips]
Do I need to include Keywords?
Of course you do - without using keywords, search engines would not know where to display your Products in search engine results. However, how you use the keywords is essential - once you have a list of keywords to include in your Product Description, you need to write these in a way that feels natural for a customer to read. Badly written Product Descriptions where keywords have been forced in is obvious and off-putting and can make for a negative customer experience.
[tips] If you have a Google Ads account, use the Keyword Checker Tool to look for the keywords that fit your Products best. [/tips]
Sell the dream!
If it’s applicable to your Products, you need to sell the customers a dream. Although this does not work so well with industrial items, if a Product can be used in a commercial or domestic setting then the chances are that you can apply a ‘dream’ to it. Clothes shops use this tactic often, by describing the kind of occasions a specific garment can be worn for, which in turn encourages the customer to think that by purchasing that Product, they are one step closer to that dream lifestyle.
The same tactic can be applied to many different Products with a little imagination; simply hint at a ‘dream’ or a luxury lifestyle to encourage your customer to purchase that Product.
- Ensure that the text is 100 words minimum;
- Bullet-point the Product features to make them easier to digest;
- Avoid using ‘expensive’ (don’t remind the customer that the Product is pricey), ‘treat’ (unless the Product is some kind of gift or treat package) and ‘splash’ (which again, reminds the customer of a steep price);
- Remind the customer that the Product Price is a bargain, but instead use the term ‘deal’;
- If the Product is exclusive to you and your EKM online shop, make sure the customer knows about it;
- If the Product can be used in conjunction with other Products, remind them of this by linking to the related Products within the Description and using the Related Products feature on the Product Page;
- Explain why the Product is essential for the customer.
- Use different fonts, different coloured text or ALL CAPS in your Product Description;
- Use the terms ‘top-ranking’, ‘best selling’ or similar - these phrases can harm your brand;
- Copy Product Descriptions from other websites or your supplier - this can see you marked down by search engines as a result;
- Use the terms ‘bargain’ and ‘buy now’;
- Make any negative references within the Product Description;
- Link to any auction site customer reviews;
- Use lots of images to increase the size of your Product Description.
- The EKM Edit Product window
- What are Product Variants?
- Adding Products with Variants
- Category Management
[contact] If you need our help with your EKM online shop, contact your Account Manager or Customer Support, who will be able to point you in the right direction. We're open from 8am-6pm weekdays and 9am-5.30pm on the weekends. If you'd like to suggest a feature or an upgrade on any of the EKM platforms, please let us know on the EKM Suggestions board. [/contact]