[intro]Before you begin this Guide, it is essential that you have installed the Product Attributes feature and enabled Product Weight. You then need to have assigned a Weight manually to a Product using this Guide before you install the Import/Export System which will enable you to export all of your Product information onto a spreadsheet. [/intro]
- Exporting your Products to a spreadsheet
- Preparing your spreadsheet
- Adding the Weight to the Products
In this Guide, you’ll learn how to assign a Weight to each of your Products using a spreadsheet, so you can quickly add this attribute to lots of Products at once. Assigning a Weight to your Products is essential for creating a Weight-based Delivery Method which ensures that your customers will always pay the correct price for shipping.
Exporting your Products to a spreadsheet
1. Log into your EKM online shop as normal, and click the Features tab:
2. On the Features page, click Import/Export System:
3. Click Export To File:
4. Click Export Products:
5. Click Continue to Choose Fields:
6. Click Continue To Choose Download Type:
7. The download type you select depends on the number of Products you have on your EKM online shop. If you have 1000 or fewer Products, select a CSV File. If you have more than this, you may want to choose an XLSX File instead. Click the relevant green button for the file type you need:
8. Click the blue text to download your file:
9. The file will be visible in the bottom of your browser window and will automatically be added to the Downloads folder on your computer. Open the file to begin the process of adding Weight to your Products.
Preparing your spreadsheet
10. When you have opened the file, you should have a spreadsheet which looks something like this:
11. For this demonstration, I’m going to add Weight to a single Product that has Variants. To make it easier to understand, I’ve coloured the Product row bright yellow - the rows beneath this refer to the Product’s Variants:
The first thing you need to do to the spreadsheet is to add the ‘Edit’ command so that when you upload the file back to your EKM online shop, the system knows that some extra details have been added to an existing Product.
12. Click the A column to highlight it, and then click the Find & Select icon on the top right-hand corner:
13. In the drop-down menu, select Replace:
14. In the window that appears, add the word ‘Product’ in the Find What field and the words ‘Edit Product’ in the Replace With field, before clicking the Replace All button:
This action will amend the ‘Product’ and ‘Product Variant’ rows to read ‘Edit Product’ and ‘Edit Product Variant’ accordingly. When you upload your spreadsheet onto your EKM online shop, the system will be aware that some of the data for the Products has been amended.
[warning] If you have any Products and Product Variants that you do not want to add the Weight attribute to, you need to delete them entirely from your spreadsheet. [/warning]
Adding the Weight to the Products
15. Your next step is to scroll along your spreadsheet until you see the Weight column. It should currently be populated with a zero, as no weight has been applied yet:
16. You now need to add your Weight value to the Product row first - on my images, this is the bright yellow row:
[remember]On the EKM platform, Weights are added in kilos. For example, 1.0 is one kilo, and 500g would be entered as 0.5. [/remember]
17. In my example, the Product is a coffee mug, and the Variants are the different colours that the mug is available in, so the Variants are all the same weight. If you right-click the Weight cell for the Product, you can easily copy this onto all of the rows for the different Product Variants, by selecting Copy from the drop-down menu, highlighting the entire column and pressing the CTRL and V keys on your keyboard to paste:
18. You now need to save your spreadsheet by clicking the File button in the top left-hand corner as normal:
19. Now you have finished working on your spreadsheet, the next step is to upload it onto your EKM online shop.
- Uploading your spreadsheet onto your EKM online shop
- Product Attributes
- Enable Product Weight
- Converting Product Variants
[contact] If you need our help with your EKM online shop, contact your Account Manager or Customer Support, who will be able to point you in the right direction. We're open from 8am-6pm weekdays and 9am-5.30pm on the weekends. If you'd like to suggest a feature or an upgrade on any of the EKM platforms, please let us know on the EKM Suggestions board. If you have a non-account specific question ask the EKM Team, join us in ekmCommunity. [/contact]